Re: [NTLK] Formatting & Erasing Linear Flash Cards

From: John Broughton <jdbroughton_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon Aug 04 2008 - 23:11:38 EDT

James,
First, I seem to remember that the Newton cannot read a flash card that has been initialized or formatted as a FAT volume. Since a PC can only format a card in it's own format, FAT, FAT 32, or NTFS, your Newton can not read them. Formatting on an older Mac that has a 16 bit, 5 volt PC card slot won't work either since the Newton cannot read that format either.
The second hurdle is that the Newton's PC card slots are 16 bit, 5 volt and all modern PC and Mac PC card slots are 32 bit cardbus slots operating at 3.3 volts. In other words, I don't think you can get there from here. I'm far from being an expert on the subject and others more informed will correct me.