Re: [NTLK] ATA Support (was: Connecting my Newton-Questions!)

From: Sonny Hung <sonnyhung_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu Aug 14 2008 - 06:49:24 EDT

On Thu, Aug 14, 2008 at 3:27 AM, James Wages <james@kiramek.com> wrote:

> http://cgi.ebay.com/SMART-MODULAR-256M-LINEAR-FLASH-PC-CARD-PM20000_W0QQitem
> Z300248426428QQihZ020QQcategoryZ51071QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem<http://cgi.ebay.com/SMART-MODULAR-256M-LINEAR-FLASH-PC-CARD-PM20000_W0QQitemZ300248426428QQihZ020QQcategoryZ51071QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem>

Yeah, i went to Smart Modular's website and probably saw the same PDF you
saw.

On one of the older Newton Flash Card Sites they discussed the ability to
use cards with the eMate versus the other Newtons since the eMate requires
5v/5v where as the other Newtons can use 5v/5v or the 5v/12v (read/write) Of
course there were some that the Newton in the past have been reported that
could not be recognized. I think that has to do with the want the CIS is
programed as PCBman explained.

No one has at this time explained the specifics of why one card would work
versus another. If we had examples and PCBman could look at them both
working and non-working then we may have a better answer.

In addition that PDF from Smart Modular's website actually might give some
clues. I saw something in there that varied from column to column IIRC under
Standard Linear Card Configurations - it dealt with Configuration it was
either 1-2MB, 4MB, 16MB or 32-64MB.

Not directly related but IIRC when I bought memory for my PowerBook Pismo it
would not recognize the total 512MB memory capacity of the two chips. It
would see 256MB. In that case the they were High Density Memory Chips used
in those boards. It was replaced with a Low Density version which was able
to be seen for it's total capacity of 512MB.

It could be either the CIS, the Type of Memory Chip used or the
Configuration - I'd have to differ to a more knowledgeable person to give us
an answer on this.

Linear Flash vs. ATA to my knowledge and first hand experience differed also
by the shape of the enclosing. I am likely wrong on this but the Linear
Flash PC Cards in my possession are all very thin. Where as the ATA card has
a raised center square on both sides. Wish we had an answer on this really
that was definitive.

--
God bless,
Sonny Hung