Re: [NTLK] ATA Linear flash speed

From: James Wages <james_at_kiramek.com>
Date: Sun Aug 17 2008 - 20:12:42 EDT

On 8/18/08 8:45 AM, "Woody Smith" wrote:
> I have never used an ATA card...

I've tested several ATA cards in combination with Paul's driver. I found
all the ATA's to be much slower than linear cards, and linear cards are
marginally slower than internal RAM. The ATA cards I used were so slow
"compared to internal RAM" that I ultimately stopped using them. I bought a
32MB linear and enjoyed that card tremendously for 2 years, until its
attribute memory EEPROM bit the dust.

I've read (sorry, can't recall the source) that static RAM cards are
marginally faster than even the internal RAM. But I doubt that many of us
use them as they are limited to 4MB and required a battery to drive the
card. If memory serves correctly, it was something like this:

Internal RAM: 15kb/sec
Linear: 11kb/sec (depending on card)
Static: 17kb/sec
ATA: 5kb/sec or less (depending on card?)

--James Wages