Re: [NTLK] Luca

From: Lord Groundhog <LordGroundhog_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon Feb 18 2008 - 06:45:48 EST

~~~ On 2008/02/18 08:42, Glenn Kardy at gkardy@japanime.com wrote ~~~

> Hi Steve...
>
> I hope you're wrong, too! (And don't worry, you don't sound like a
> jerk at all -- we're all tired of BEING YELLED AT by this guy.)
>
> I wonder, though, if somebody is (repeatedly) signing up for the list
> using his email address, and he's simply frustrated that he keeps
> getting "confirm your subscription request" emails for something he
> didn't sign up for in the first place.
> Possible?
>
> In any case, it would probably be best if the list-mom simply removes
> his address, and if possible bans it from being submitted again.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Glenn
>

> On Feb 18, 2008, at 5:01 PM, Steven Scotten wrote:
>
>> So is this some kind of scam intended to get us to reply and harvest
>> valid email addresses for spammers?
>>
>> It's either that or someone who got on the list using some address
>> that's forwarded to the yahoo address listed, which makes it
>> impossible to get off the list because he basically doesn't know his
>> own email address.
>>
>> That would be a tough situation, because then nobody would be able to
>> help him unless he did something unthinkably radical like look at the
>> X-Original-To, Delivered-To, and Received headers of the emails he's
>> receiving to find out what his own email address is. Of course, then
>> he'd probably be able to get off the list himself.
>>
>> It's either that or HE COULD JUST KEEP YELLING AT A BUNCH OF PEOPLE
>> WHO HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH THE SITUATION HE GOT HIMSELF INTO. BECAUSE
>> I'M SURE THAT'S BEEN WORKING REAL WELL SO FAR.
>>
>> Same thing happened to me once. Man I was embarrassed when I figured
>> out I was getting the list mail to an old address. I didn't show my
>> face for a week.
>>
>> OK I'm done being a jerk for the time being. I hope I'm wrong about
>> the "spam email harvesting" theory.
>>

>> Steve

Considering that back on the 12th, Thomas Brand posted this:

> Luca Prosseda,
>
> I have taken the liberty of removing your name off of the NewtonTalk
> mailing list. You could have done this yourself by visiting
> NewtonTalk.net. Sorry for the inconvenience, and for your information
> capitalization never solved anything. Have a nice day. :)
>
> Thomas Brand (T2)

-- and even this hasn't prevented this guy from further posts. I have
little hope that any ordinary solution is going to help. The situation
reads more like someone somewhere isn't playing nicely with us. Could
someone be playing a nasty prank on him and signing him up, perhaps more
than once? Or perhaps this is someone playing a nasty prank on us? Or
perhaps it really is an elaborate spamming ruse? Or perhaps it's a script
kiddie playing with his new bot-ware and seeing how much attention he can
get for his sad, lonely pointless life?

Whatever. Bottom line: I don't care anymore. I'm even past thinking that
he should be defenestrated. He's being added to my spam filter: if he's
too feeble to solve the problem (he's had it explained to him more than
once), then for all I care he can get get triple copies of NewtonTalk but I
don't need to know about it. NewtonTalk is an afficianado-list. If he
isn't one, he knows where to go and what to do when he gets there -- I mean
the web-site and the "unsubscribe" option, of course! ;)

Shalom.
Christian

łAny sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from a Newton.˛
            -- what Arthur C. Clarke meant

http://youtube.com/watch?v=1ZzpdPJ7Zr4
(With thanks to Chod Lang)
http://tinyurl.com/29y2dl