Re: [NTLK] Newly Joined

From: Morgan Aldridge <morgant_at_makkintosshu.com>
Date: Thu Feb 28 2008 - 08:26:42 EST

On Wed, Feb 27, 2008 at 10:33 PM, V. Lee <earthyfemme@earthlink.net> wrote:

> I am a writer looking for a means to increase productivity and not use so much paper. I want to write in my own handwriting using a stylus (don't type very fast all the time), convert the writing to a .txt or something and upload it to a desktop or laptop so I can print it at a later time.
>
> Is this a good idea to seek the Newton as a possible solution?

Welcome!

In addition to James', Jon's, Matt's, Christian's, and Marcus's
excellent advice and personal experiences, I'd like to add my own
suggestions.

Being the owner of both a MessagePad 130 & a 2100 I'll toss out these
thoughts: the form factor of the 130 is far superior to the 2100 for
writing, but even with Newton OS 2.0 the handwriting recognition is
too slow for more than a few notes and filling out form fields. The
2100 is highly suggested for its greatly increased processor speed and
the larger amount of built-in memory.

My handwriting was picked up fairly quickly by the Newton and I'd
suggest that you continue to tweak the setting even if you feel you've
found the right settings. It gives you a better understanding of what
they do and the truth is that you're adapting to the Newton as much as
the Newton is adapting to you, so as time goes on you'll find better
middle ground settings. I'd also suggest Paul Guyot's alt.rec....
<http://www.kallisys.com/newton/alt.rec..../> to improve the
recognization.

As for communicating with a desktop, I've found that (at least with
Mac OS X, but there may be some issues with Windows XP) Bluetooth has
been the easiest way to send notes, address book entires, and calendar
entries back and forth. For text it's quite quick, requires no wires,
and is easier to get to on both the Mac OS X & Newton side of things.
That said, you do have to do a bit of bootstrapping to get there, so
you'll need to start with a serial connection anyway (for Mac OS X I
suggest Simon Bell's NCX
<http://homepage.mac.com/simonbell/connection/index.html>).

Morgan Aldridge

---