Re: [NTLK] The future of Newton--What's your best vision?

From: Lord Groundhog <LordGroundhog_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue Jul 01 2008 - 06:11:08 EDT

~~~ On 2008/07/01 07:45, dotline7 at dotline7@gmail.com wrote ~~~

> ... A colour screen takes a lot of power and is not readable In
> sunlight.

The power is a real point, one I forgot to mention. Although I think the
iNstein could be made really thin with modern tech, I wonder if we could
still have the great battery life we enjoy now with the kind of batteries
they make for ultra-thin devices. I don't know about things like Palms and
such (although I had one and the battery life was appalling, unless I didn't
use it -- no, wait, it was even bad then) but I can say I've not been
impressed by the battery life in my phones once the 6-8 month honeymoon
period ended, and sometimes even before then. Add a colour screen and
that'll be worse.

Sunlight is also a good point. I'm sure I'm not the only one who's
discovered that the Newton is amazingly easy to read in the brightest
sunlight if you put on a pair of polarized sunglasses (which I'm never
without in the brightest sunlight, so that works great). OTOH, I have to
take off my sunglasses and squint at my colour-screened phone, and usually
still can't read it well, if I'm in the sun.

Colour's main advantage is in dimmed indoor light or outdoor dusk. Think
carefully before going to colour. It's swings and roundabouts, as they say
here (UK).

Shalom.
Christian

łAny sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from a Newton.˛
            -- what Arthur C. Clarke meant

http://youtube.com/watch?v=1ZzpdPJ7Zr4
(With thanks to Chod Lang)
http://tinyurl.com/29y2dl