Re: [NTLK] The future of Newton--What's your best vision?

From: Abraham Limpo Martinez <abraham_at_familialimpo.net>
Date: Tue Jul 01 2008 - 06:18:03 EDT

Current hardware trends are devices that are used more for retrieving
information than adding information (as the newton does). A platform
designed from scratch would be the best option, but as Apple holds all
the licences that are necessary to pull such a stunt would be impossible.

Just for kicks I leave here some components from scratch that could be
adquired to made a prototipe:
- Gumstix Verdex: Xscale at 600mhz would provide sufficient boost to
compute more advanced tasks (PDF rendering, for example), although the
128 RAM can be a bit limiting for some tasks (full web browsing). The
PXA is a very versatile processor that can drive a screen, soundcard and
has USB host capabilities, meaning that USB external devices can be
connected. Also has an integrated SD/MMS/CF interface, and a keypad
controller.
-a 7'' widescreen tft w/touchscreen capacities: 800x480 is a nice boost
to the resolution, although it will be hard to find a cheap monitor. A
3:4 800x600 can be cheaper, but is hard to find them under 8''.
- cursor interface: at least a side wheel to page back and forth when
reading documents. Tried it on a tablet and there's no going back.

A rough estimate brings the cost of assembling a prototipe a bit under
1000$, plus a lot of free time and some engineering know-how. After
that, a custom OS (OSS based I guess) should be taylored for the
constrains of the platform (32 MB storage, 128 MB of RAM, although more
storage can be added through a CF or an SD).