Re: [NTLK] [OT] Yet another Mac question

From: Martin Joseph <NT_at_stillnewt.org>
Date: Wed Jul 02 2008 - 13:42:25 EDT

On Jul 2, 2008, at 10:18 AM, Matt Howe wrote:

> Ok so I've decided that IBMac will stay on OS 9.2.2 but I am
> getting a lot
> of crashes. It will boot fine. sometimes it will run as short as 2
> minutes,
> other times it will run for 30 minutes or more. When it crashes, it
> just
> freezes. No funny screen image or error message, it just stops
> responding to
> mouse and keyboard. My guess is possibly bad memory?
Possible, but doubtful. You could double check the CPU temperature
and make certain that's cool enough. Perhaps the PC case isn't
moving enough air or in the proper locations?

I will reiterate that I have been unimpressed with the gossamer logic
board in all of incarnations, and personally don't spend any time
with those. If you are looking for a budget mac to run 9.22 or even
OSX the older PCI powermac hardware (like the 7500/7600/7300 or
8500/8600) is much more robust in my opinion. The newer and much
better AGP Powermac G4's are also ridiculously cheap at this late date.

Good Luck and keep us updated,
Marty

> I ask this here because someone suggested on of the Mac groups to
> me. I
> joined that Mac group and never got even an acknowledgement to any
> of the
> questions I asked. (Yes they did make it through as they came back
> to me
> from the group.) I guess this place has spoiled me. I can't
> remember the
> last time a question, newbie or otherwise went over 24 hours
> without an
> answer. Even if the answer was sometimes from someone that said "I
> don't
> know." At least it was an answer. I guess what I am saying is that
> I'm proud
> to be a member of this group and the way we treat people.

Yes, we are spoiled here for sure...