Re: [NTLK] [OT] Yet another Mac question

From: Ian Strom <macjunky_at_uniserve.com>
Date: Wed Jul 02 2008 - 18:40:15 EDT

Might want to look into slapping on a Socket 7 HSF if heat is a large
problem.
Right now behind me and to the right I have a Beige G3 mobo in a PC
case w/ 350Mhz Blue&White CPU clocked to 433Mhz(stock B&W heatsink). I
just used a decent sized screw to hang an 80mm fan I had around off
the heatsink, and even with a case that has absolutely appalling
airflow this works just fine.
My 32MB DDR Radeon 7000 has more overheating issues than the CPU if
both were without the fans I slapped in. :/

Anyway, if it is the CPU overheating you actually don't need all that
much airflow unless you are using a really tiny heatsink and a
50mm-80mm fan from a local PC shop would do the trick.

Oh, also, if you use some new thermal compound make sure to remove the
black thermal pad thingy that is on the stock Beige G3 heatsink first
and remember to use only a tiny amount of thermal compound. To see how
much you need put just the teeniest amount(for that size die I think
about a fruit-fly sized amount or so) on the CPU's die(shiny blue/
purple thing) then mount the HSF and pull it off again. Look at how
it spreads to see if you need more or less.

When cleaning off thermal compound a lint free cloth and 90%+
isopropyl alcohol is generally favoured by many.