Re: [NTLK] Read Notes on OS X?

From: Jon Glass <jonglass_at_usa.net>
Date: Sat Jul 05 2008 - 03:08:55 EDT

On Sat, Jul 5, 2008 at 7:36 AM, R A Parker <Quadzillanet@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> What you are asking is to connect the phone cord, modem to modem?
>
> um... Can't be sure that can be done. In theory, yes. How would you do that? Can you tell the Mac to answer the modem manually then do a manual fax receive?

I used to do this rather frequently back in the 90s. It was one way I
would "print" while out and about. It is really flakey and touchy, but
it may work (I never got it to work with some modems or fax machines)

You have to set both sides to ignore dial tone. And it helps to have a
Y-jack, so you have a live phone line.

Next, set the Newton to manual dial, and send. You need to almost
simultaneously hit the receive on the receiving end. I seldom got it
the first try. Also I may be forgetting something. It's been over 10
years since I've done this!

--
 -Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland