Re: [NTLK] Lombard/Pismo batteries [WAS: "Re: Legacy Software"]

From: L.W. Brown <lwb_at_mac.com>
Date: Thu Jul 10 2008 - 15:21:13 EDT

At least your health is (sort of) taken care of - maybe not the best
of care for the worst problems, but far cheaper than here.

And yes, petty buro-rats can be infuriatingly stupid: items of no real
consequence can get confiscated as banned at the Seoul & Singapore
airports, and a colleague had to fill out forms in Canada when they
determined he was "leaving-behind [importing] a product," simply
because he described the purpose of his visit as "delivering a slide
presentation"!!!

On 10. Jul., 2008, at 05:29 AM, Lord Groundhog wrote:

~~~ On 2008/07/10 09:54, Kate Case at kate.case@gmail.com wrote ~~~

> Customs charge is nothing to do with the retailer, so you can't blame
> them for that.

You're right about that Kate. My uncle sent a walking stick he'd
carved for
my birthday, to me here in the UK. Costing me nothing and clearly
marked as
a gift, the British government nevertheless decided that it needed to be
taxed with hefty import duties. I was told I either could pay, or I
couldn't have it.

I swear these vultures would tax the spit in my mouth if I didn't
swallow it
too fast for them to measure it.