[NTLK] NPDS To Serve Ink Text

From: Ed Miller <cmdrguard_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed Jul 16 2008 - 22:27:20 EDT

Hey Folks,

So here's what I'm trying to do.

I would like to use my emate to take notes in school. My hand writing
stinks out loud so I intend to use ink text for fast note taking. I
would like to get these notes off the emate to my computer so that I
can print them, e-mail them around etc. I was the guy that started
that whole "Read Notes on OS X" thread earlier this month.

From what I gather, the best way to get hand written notes off the
emate is to either fax them or e-mail them with MailV. I can't use the
fax approach because I don't have any landlines - I only use my cell.

My attempt with MailV really didn't work. When I was able to send a
note with text and ink text, the text came out fine but the ink looked
like garbled nothing. I tried another note with a simple mix of text,
ink text, and sketches, and what I got when in the process of
e-mailing the note was:

Unknown Newton Error at OC4498E8

Has anyone ever seen this before? Is that some memory address the
emate is reporting?

Well, in any case, what I'm wondering now is whether I can use Newton
Personal Data Sharing Server (NPDS) to get my ink and sketches off the
emate. I am getting some conflicting info as to whether this is
possible.

On the NPDS manual at http://npds.free.fr/docs/english/ under Notepad
Server, this is what is written:

> NoteServ is simple extension with a lot of power behind it. Any note you write and > file in a specially selected folder will be made available on the WWW when > nHTTPd is active. These Notes can be
>
> regular old plaintext notes
> checklists,
> or outllines.

So I take it plaintext notes excludes ink text.

BUT, take a look at this testament to the mighty will of the newton user:

http://66.18.227.240:8080/html/-72365934$2434.nsd

or go to http://66.18.227.240:8080/html/index.html and click on
"Server Ink Text Images"

It looks like, then, that serving ink text can indeed be done!

Here's my question, folks:

Can anyone clarify as to whether an ink text newton server is
possible? Is NPDS straightforward to set up?

I'd appreciate any insight.

Regards,

Ed