[NTLK] Using NewtonMail software for modern electronic mail (seriou

From: R A Parker <QuadzillaNET_at_SBCGlobal.NET>
Date: Sun Jul 20 2008 - 13:38:00 EDT

On Sunday, July 20, 2008 at 6:51 am RedJazz wrote:

> would it be possible to send and
> receive electronic mail via the
> built-in NewtonMail software?

The short answer would be no.

> how can I use 1.x to send and receive
> electronic mail? 'Cause this is what I
> bought my Newton cigarette pack modem
> for.

The capabilities of a pre-2.0 NOS Newton were limited to proprietary mail
services, which no are longer in existence. NIE will not run on 1.3 NOS
Newtons, so you must look for something that doesn't use the Internet (like
Woody mentioned, a dial-up BBS).

Software-wise, your only choice for a Newton of this age is GoFetch Shell
Transport. In all honesty, GoFetch is a good, solid, email app and I used
it for a couple of years with my v2.0 MP120. Works great with the external
(cigarette pack) modem. I still use the NIE version on occasions with my
2100 because of the extras it provides to enhance Mail V.

GoFetch Shell Transport (on a 1.3 NOS Newton) uses a UNIX Shell (text
login) account to communicate with UNIX applications and then send &
receive the emails. UNIX Shell accounts are still readily available with
certain dial-up ISP's but will take some research to find them.

You could even run your own UNIX server on an extra phone line in your own
home ... that's what I did. Good experience and loads of fun. Lots of work,
but the possibility exists you could even surf the web (in text) if you
built it right.

Do anything? eh?

Ron

--
Sent using GoFetch and a Wireless Newton 2100.
--
       |\ |  @ TahoeSunsets.COM
--
Fetch...Send...Stay... "Good Boy!"