Re: [NTLK] Using NewtonMail software for modern electronic mail (seriously)

From: RedJazz <redjazz_slo_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sun Jul 20 2008 - 14:46:38 EDT

As far as my knowledge goes, NOS 2.0 shipped with a mail client that only worked with Apple's eWorld service. Yet people with MP120's and 130's do modern Internet things using their modems. Yeah, I know there is NIE, but what is so great about it anyway? It is a memory hog anyway, and it's nearly impossible to configure right with all those IP addresses. I know because I tried to make a dial-up connection from an eMate using NetHopper and the latest version of NIE. I know that it's great from a developer's point of view, but how come then that there is even a Web browser for 1.x? (It's found on UNNA: http://www.unna.org/view.php?/internet/web-browsers/NewtonWWWv1.1/NewtonWWW-V1.1 ) I asked for help on setting it up in my thread "Web browsing on 1.3" since I didn't understand the instructions in the readme file, but no one responded.

Why isn't there a hack to allow modern mail systems like POP to work inside the NewtonMail software? Or perhaps Wi-Fi cards for that matter? Or communicating via SMS with the add-on modem, just like SMSMailer? If all you great Newton software guys like Simon Bell could do it for OS 2.x, why not 1.x? Just because we 1.x users are a minority it doesn't mean we don't exist. I actually intentionally purchased a 120 from eBay instead of a 2x00 unit, because 2x00s were all missing some critical stuff (screen door, power adapter, batteries, dummy cards, styluses...) and they were much more expensive than other units. There weren't any upgraded 120s or 130s, so I chose the more sane, 1.x version of the MP120. At least it doesn't take me five minutes to insert a card into the Name File because of constant tapping of the New button each time I want to enter something. Just tap New, and a whole new card is created; all you have to do is to fill it out. Life as it
 is simple for 1.x users. Unless it comes to connectivity; the main purpose of Newton.

I mostly find myself using Notepad, Names, Dates and all those built-in simple 1.x apps, because 80% of the software on UNNA is "for 2.0 and 2.1 Newtons only". The only non-built-in apps I use are Notion 1.2 (you know, from the StarCore collection that was promoted when the Newton was launched), Sony Remote, NewtTest (utilities that I rarely use), Sloup, NTK Toolkit app, NS BASIC (not anymore, for a short time, and I'm thinking about buying the full version), Newtris (just for fun), Dell Crosswords (another StarCore app), and there you have it. I only use the built-in apps and Notion daily, most others are kept on my huge card (20MB) that I can't use to its full extent because the Extras drawer only can show 30 icons. You did recommend a utility to me to solve this, however, you still didn't come up with a solution to my -10401 problem, so I can't even install it. Evil. I even once ordered anti-glare screen protectors from GEM Enterprises for my Newton,
 only to find out they are actually for 2x00 units.

I only have been a Newton user since September 2007, but I quickly found out that you 2.x users mostly keep everything for yourself.

If somehow magically a solution appears to all of my Newton problems, I will gladly forgive you. The only individual developers I find 1.x-friendly are Paramount Software (because Writer's Calc and PocketMoney are compatible with 1.x) and Steve Weyer (because I use his DontAsk package, the Sloup utility, and have been trying to do something with NewtDevEnv according to the tutorial book, only to find it didn't want to work in 1.x)

M. Horvat