Re: [NTLK] Using NewtonMail software for modern electronic mail (seriously!)

From: RedJazz <redjazz_slo_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sun Jul 20 2008 - 16:36:31 EDT

I only occasionally need to check my mail when I'm far away from home or when I am expecting something urgent. I don't need an iPhone, I don't like it for many reasons, namely because whenever there is someone with an iPhone or an iPod touch near me, everyone suddendly starts comparing the Newton to it - in terms of multimedia, to which the Newton ultimately loses. It seems that artificial intelligence (Intelligent Assist, Handwriting Recognition, Shape Recognition, Voice Recognition) is not as important these days, where external design is more important. I also happened to meet quite a few jerks during the first few weeks of my Newton use in September 2007, that basically said "Wut is dis?" and then without warning started touching the screen with their FINGERNAILS, while speaking "Does it work with fingers too???", causing my Newton to have a thousand scratches especially on the lower screen area, and my heart hurts every time I see them, and it's
 difficult to write in the Find and Assist slips if you know what I mean. Maybe it's time to explain my Newton story some other time, as I think it's pretty interesting.

Anyway, carrying around a Newton, a modem, a power adapter, and a telephone cable is the mobile setup I am satisfied with, may that sound strange or not. I already do printing from my Newton to an Epson LQ-570 dot-matrix printer that is supported by Print Pack 1.0, and I share it with my desktop computer too. Old technology is never a problem for me.

M. Horvat