Re: [NTLK] Newton-friendly ISP? (Market Survey)

From: Christian Walther <cptsalek_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed Jul 23 2008 - 03:13:50 EDT

Hi Morgan,

2008/7/22 Morgan Aldridge <morgant@makkintosshu.com>:
> With all this discussion about email and shell access I might as well
> admit that I have had another project queued up after the UNNA
> upgrades: a small ISP providing fairly open email, chat, and shell
> access (plus a few features pending after initial release). Of course,
> there's still a whole lot of discussion about security, but the
> service would be intended mostly for those like us that have older
> hardware and just want to get online somehow.

great idea. :-)
> 4) Use said ISP if they required frequent password changes to help
> prevent account hijacking?

I recommend the use of One Time Passwords (OTP). The passwords could
be created using a secure website (that is given the possibility that
every newtoneers has access to a computer capable of running SSL
connections) or by some other means. OTPs are numbered, the password
asked by the authentication system is identified using this number.
The OTPs could be exported to the newton as a list, so that they can
be removed after being used.
This significantly reduces the hazard of account hijacking and the
need of thinking about a good, new password regularly.#

Regards
Christian