Re: [NTLK] OT: Wasted CPU cycles

From: Rod Lavington <lavo_at_mac.com>
Date: Mon Mar 03 2008 - 05:43:54 EST

On Mon, 2008-03-03 at 11:31 +0100, matthiasm wrote:
<snip>

> Next there are all the graphics gimmicks. Antialiased fonts - I love
> them - are a true CPU and GPU cycle hog. Transparent windows? Drop
> shadows? Reflections? Or even milky glass effects with filtering and
> distortion? These do nothing to readability, but take away cycles from
> the GPU which it should spend for scrolling and rendering. Worst case,
> the Graphics Board has no full Quartz Extreme / DirectX whatever
> support, and the CPU is kept busy rendering.
<snip>
> Matthias
>
> ----
> http://robowerk.com/

Hence why I am eagerly awaiting the R1 release of Haiku, the open source
version of BeOS. In all three major operating systems there is too much
emphasis on eye candy and wastage of resources. I can't wait to see how
fast Haiku will run on today's machines. BeOS was very quick in its
day, and that was running on 500Mhz P2s.

Seeya

Rod!