Re: [NTLK] [Poutine] Poutine and wines (Was Re: Test message. Are we still here?)

From: Morgan Aldridge <morgant_at_makkintosshu.com>
Date: Mon Mar 17 2008 - 08:03:55 EDT

On Sat, Mar 15, 2008 at 8:37 AM, Ian P. Currie <ipcurrie@mac.com> wrote:

> As a relative newbie to the list, I'm so happy to be able to offer
> advice about something I actually *know* !
>
> First, we must agree that my wife's recipe for Poutine gravy is the
> best ever (a family secret that goes back Québecois generations).

A family secret, eh? Will it remain so or will it become a NewtonTalk
family secret?

> Short of getting that one, the best Poutine is to be found most
> anywhere in Quebec, where the default serving is with fresh cheese
> curds (if they don't squeak a little when you bite into them, they
> aren't fresh!) Generally speaking, the further you get from Quebec,
> the less appetizing the Poutine, but some excellent plates of the stuff
> can usually be had anywhere there's a Francophone contingent: Eastern
> and Northern Ontario, about half of New Brunswick, and other
> communities from coast to coast (though I've never had a good one in
> BC). Some Canadian-flavoured bars around the world serve it (I've had
> it as far away as Europe and Asia) but inevitably, they make it with
> shredded mozzarella or mild cheddar or whatever... nothing worth
> getting excited about unless you're desperate!

I totally forgot to look for a restaurant serving Poutine when I went
to the first Osheaga festival in Montréal a couple years ago (no
vendors served it, that's for sure, otherwise I would've noticed and
bought some... I doubt their cheese curds would have been 'squeaky'
though). Unfortunately, the ticket prices skyrocketed for the second
year so we didn't bother going.

We only live an hour or so over the Québec/Vermont border, so we'll
definitely be back at some point. I'll have to put Poutine on the
itinerary for our next trip into Canada.

Morgan Aldridge

---
morgant@makkintosshu.com
http://www.makkintosshu.com/