[NTLK] Newton to Newton Package Beaming

From: Jaeden Amero <newton_at_patatersoft.info>
Date: Fri Mar 21 2008 - 10:37:40 EDT

I'm a new Newton user, so I haven't discovered how to do everything
I'd like to yet. I've got this sweet Newton 2100, but I am struggling
to install some packages onto it. I don't have a serial dongle for the
device, so I can't install packages on it the normal way. I also have
an eMate. I would like to install packages onto the eMate and then
transfer them to the 2100 via infrared. Is this method feasible? Which
additional software do I need, if any, on either the eMate or the 2100
in order to accomplish this task?

According to this page on WikiWikiNewt
<http://tools.unna.org/wikiwikinewt/index.php/BootStrapping>, there
exists a program to enable Newtons to beam packages to each other.
However, one of the authors states that he can't remember enough to
provide a link to the software or remember its name.

I've looked around on other WikiWikiNewt pages, like
<http://tools.unna.org/wikiwikinewt/index.php/IrDAConnection>. That
particular page has a bullet point that says "Beam stuff between MP
2x00 or eMates", but no more information than that. I looked through
the UNNA archive, but only found software for non OS 2.1 Newtons, but
pehaps I just missed it. With multiple references to the process in
WikiWikiNewt, I'm surprised I couldn't find much more information
elsewhere.

My main goal is to install Hiroshi Noguchi's WiFi drivers and the
patch "More WiFi Cards" to enable more cards. This should allow me to
use my Compaq WL110 card with the 2100 to perform future package
installs via WiFi connection with a computer or direct internet
download (although I haven't decided which web applications for web
browsing and email to install yet).

Thanks for the help!

Cheers,
Jaeden