Re: [NTLK] Smoking eMate

From: Frank Gruendel <newtontalk_at_pda-soft.de>
Date: Thu Mar 27 2008 - 18:41:36 EDT

> I just bought a beautiful eMate to go with my 2100. Since it didn't
> come with a power adapter, I also bought a third party power supply
> and sure enough, the moment I plugged it in it began smoking.

If this helps at all, you are not the first and most likely far from
the last to make this mistake.

> Since I work for a major consumer of semiconductors, sourcing a
> replacement and soldering it is not a problem. However, I wonder
what
> the likelihood of the DZ1 (or, TPSMB10) being the only component
> needing replacement is ?

The only way to find that out is by replacing the zener and look
what happens. Most times replacing the zener is sufficient, though.
If you connect a higher voltage than specified, the zener will conduct
and in almost every case die in a way that it shorts the power
supply out. In other words, there's not much chance that the voltage
gets
into the eMate. But, of course, there's no guarantee, this depends to
a certain degree on the AC adapter you connected.

As for the replacement part, here are some wise words once spoken by
Mr. PCBMan:

The emate has a 1N713 in it. This is a 9.1V zener. An Apple supply
@7.5V nom. won't cause the zener to conduct under normal conditions.
Anyway, Try 1SMB5924BT3 or equivalent.

Good luck!

Frank