Re: [NTLK] A review of the Newton 2100, 12 years later...

From: Lord Groundhog <LordGroundhog_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri May 02 2008 - 20:57:26 EDT

~~~ On 2008/05/03 00:07, Albert at albotic@yahoo.com wrote ~~~

> Not sure if you guys ever saw this review, but here is a review of the Newton
> Messagepad 2100, 12 years later.. I agree wholeheartedly with the sentiment
> expressed in this review. See it here:
> http://www.diyplanner.com/node/3942

Thanks Albert. That's an interesting site but I've not been there for a
fair while, so I would've missed it.

Reading it made me realize all over again how far advanced the concept of
the Newton was, and how easy it should be to market it now if only Apple
would roll out a fully-fledged, fully-featured Newton with modern technology
fully implemented.

On average, a couple of times a week I can count on people asking me what
I'm writing on. I've taken to answering by scribbling down my reply and
handing Newt to them to read -- it's so much fun watching their eyes get
wide as they realize that they watched me write it in an ordinary cursive,
and watched Newt turn it into the text they're reading! It's not unusual
for them to ask, "can you still get them?" The only real deal breaker is
when I explain that due to its age the 2100 can be a bit cranky about
connectivity, and web browsing and e-mail aren't as easy as they would be if
Apple would update it. Even so, I know people who now are on the lookout
for a cheap 2100. Just think what could happen if Apple did the sensible
thing and gave us a modern version.

One question: I'm not convinced yet that they could make it anything like
as good as what we have now if they insist on using a cut down form of OS X
instead of an updated NOS: could they ever achieve the integration of data
and functions we enjoy now if they use OS X?

Shalom.
Christian

łAny sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from a Newton.˛
            -- what Arthur C. Clarke meant

http://youtube.com/watch?v=1ZzpdPJ7Zr4
(With thanks to Chod Lang)
http://tinyurl.com/29y2dl