[NTLK] eMate continuously restarts, then won't.

From: Andrew Cherry <phoenix_feet_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Fri May 02 2008 - 20:51:37 EDT

Hi,

My eMate has a problem. When I try to start it up, I see the startup
screen and hear the chime, but then the chime and the screen cut
out, and the eMate goes dead. It will then try to startup again, and
fall over at the same point. It will do this 4 or 5 times, then it
will die completely and won't respond until I do a software reset,
and then the whole thing starts over again. This occurs running on
AC power and battery power. It also doesn't make a difference if the
lid is open or closed once the cycle has started.

I bought the eMate a few months ago, and it came without a battery or
power adaptor. I picked up a new NiMh battery from ThePowerbookGuy's
website, and bought a PowerTech Plus switchable AC adaptor that runs
at 1.25 Amps. After updating the system software to build 737246, I
used it for a month without too many problems. At first, the eMate
refused to charge the battery, telling me that the voltage was too
high for the battery. The power adaptor was set to 7.5V, so I
switched it to 6V and the battery seemed to charge fine. I left it
sitting with a charged battery for about 2 months, then a couple of
weeks ago I wanted to start using it again. It was working fine for
about a week, and then this started happening.

I've tried the following things:
- Software, Hardware & Hard resets
- Removing the battery and running it on AC power only
- re-seating the ROM chip

It doesn't have an extra RAM chip or any cards installed. I'm
completely out of ideas. If anyone has any advice, it would be
greatly appreciated.

The only other thing I've noticed is that the hinge is suddenly a lot
stiffer than it was previously. Up until a few weeks ago, the hinge
couldn't hold the screen in an upright position without me balancing
the machine carefully. Now it has no trouble holding it in place. I
was worried about the hinge flaw, but I haven't noticed any
degradation in the screen (the startup screen, at least).