[NTLK] Inkwell and cursive HWR in OS X

From: Michael Blazer <m.blazer_at_utoronto.ca>
Date: Tue May 06 2008 - 16:12:12 EDT

Hi all - haven't posted in a long while. I just hooked up a tablet
(Wacom) to my Mac for the first time ever, thinking I was going to
have some HWR fun, Newton-style. To my great disappointment, it
doesn't recognize cursive. (I eventually figured this out when every
word I wrote was interpreted as the letter 'm'!) Obviously this is a
not a new discovery but I had no idea. I'd heard of Inkwell and
simply assumed they must have basically ported the HWR from the
Newton.

In the archives I found this
<http://marc.info/?l=newtontalk&m=103955520028843&w=2> Dec. 2002
posting from Paul G. saying that Apple couldn't put the Newton's
cursive recognizer into OS X, because "Paragraph is now more or less
sold to Microsoft".

Anyone know the current situation? Was it actually sold to Microsoft?
 Does Apple have any plans to put cursive recognition into Inkwell?
Are there other cursive recognizers as good as Paragraph?

I read today about somebody developing HWR for the iPhone/iTouch and I
thought, why re-invent the wheel? But if Apple no longer has this
technology then it makes sense. (Although Apple selling it doesn't
make sense to me.)

Michael