Re: [NTLK] Inkwell and cursive HWR in OS X

From: Lord Groundhog <LordGroundhog_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed May 07 2008 - 16:41:09 EDT

~~~ On 2008/05/07 19:59, Martin Joseph at NT@stillnewt.org wrote ~~~

> I would also like to restate that the developer of the Newton's print
> recognizer stated that the print recognizer does NOT LEARN at all
> about how you write. This is constantly mischaracterized here on the
> list, and it should be understood that while you might learn to make
> it work better, it's not going to learn how you write.

Does that also apply to cursive recognition? I write cursive script
exclusively, and my experience has been that my Newton feels as though it --
how shall I say this? -- "adjusted the way it interprets my scribble to
achieve higher accuracy", or "adapted its recognition algorithms to my
input" or whatever. To me that's almost as close to "learning" as I expect
from a computer program designed to perform HWR.

But is it all smoke and mirrors? And if it doesn't "learn" my handwriting,
what does it do and how did it adjust its treatment of my writing to
eliminate mistakes?

Sorry to pursue this but I really want to understand what's going on here.
I'm hoping it'll help me when the time comes that I'm finally forced to look
for a replacement for my Newtons.

Shalom.
Christian

łAny sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from a Newton.˛
            -- what Arthur C. Clarke meant

http://youtube.com/watch?v=1ZzpdPJ7Zr4
(With thanks to Chod Lang)
http://tinyurl.com/29y2dl