[NTLK] Fwd: Dream OS [WAS: "The iMoleskine ?" AND "Re: newtontalk Digest V8 #219"]

From: L.W. Brown <lwb_at_mac.com>
Date: Thu May 22 2008 - 18:02:14 EDT

An ugly tool may work (smashing nuts with a broken stone). A beautiful
tool may not work at all ("fantasy" knives come to mind, or some
concept cars).
And either could be more or less functional - just depends.
But, beauty adds to the joy of using the tool, and thus to the
willingness to use it, and thereby the ability to create efficient and
useful products in an efficient manner.
Even the "beautiful ugliness" of a well-designed war implement is
intended to create a specific result in both the wielder (power &
confidence) and the victim (fear & helplessness) that is separate but
allied with the "obvious" result (such as spitting bullets, splitting
skulls or fending off blows)...
So, I side with those who seek to add some form of beauty (or
elegance) to a tool, even if some fraction of that _may_ seem like
mere ornamentation.
Begin forwarded message: