[NTLK] Question about Newton and WLAN (on Mac OS-X 10.4.11)

From: <info_at_punkt-x.de>
Date: Tue Oct 28 2008 - 14:09:01 EDT

Hi friends again,

four days ago I already asked you for help to establish a WLAN
with/between my newton and Mac.
I got some help from here (thanks again), but I don't have success.

Let me tell you the facts (as far as I understand it... :-(

1. Newton MessagePad 2100 (Orinoco Card, that mount's as "Lucent WaveLAN/IEEE")
        When I try a connection, the card is busy blinking with two LEDs...

2. Mac Mini Intel (means no Classic mode possible - OK, I could with
an elder powerbook, but at least I'd like to use the Newton with the
mini.

3. My Mini is connected with an internal network and internet via
ethernet cable and router (non-Apple). The router has
WLAN-capabilities. Another mini works fluently via WiFi to the router
(only Internet no internal net till now), I think that means it is
established and works.

4. My Mini has built-in Airportcard (extreme).

Now, what I don't understand:

a) can I/shall I establish a connection computer-to-computer between
the Newton and the Mini???
That's to say: Can I even establish a connection between the two
machines without the router?

or

b) do I always have to go over the router to connect the Newton with the Mini?

I never established such a computer-to-computer-network, so I don't
know that at all.
Also I don't know how I can identify an established connection
between newton and Mini. (?)

There are too many options on the newton (and the mac), I'm really
confused now.

Well, the Mac mini has a name and the connection has a name (I
believe last is, what I have to type in on the SSID. -?)

For example: (on the newton) I do have to go over the "dock", - right?
  I have to tap on "AppleTalk"

but then, at "connect with" I choose the name of the Mini (the
machine's name!). Is that OK?
Why does my newton then asks me to choose a Computer (under the
headline of my Mini's name)???

Then I can choose between * Desktop computer and then * none or
* others...
When I choose "others..." the newton seems to search, - but doesn't
find anything.

Hannibal is ante portas, but nobody opens the doors....

Am I stupid or is it just to different from my former experiences on
the mac? :-((

What you should know yet:

I'm not (really) interested to go surfing on the web with my Newton.

I mainly want to transfer data between Newton and the Mac mini and I
would like to synch Data of Newton and OS-X's addressbook & iCal etc.

All sources I found about that didn't meet just my wish.

Any ideas to let me find success?

Stefan