Re: [NTLK] Fwd: [re the next NewtCon] all about Canada

From: Abraham Limpo Martínez <abraham_at_familialimpo.net>
Date: Wed Sep 03 2008 - 18:41:39 EDT

Yes, most people that "hates" america, hates it for the wrong reasons.
They stick with their "Bush is bad" routine, but in some cases this is
good, because it means the next president will not necessarily inherit
the same bad press.

Having said that, I feel that in general the people I know they got
right one thing: America is trying to policy our lives, but we cannot
intervene directly or indirectly with their plans and ideas. And that's
a powerful reason to dislike America. Press or not, We have not voted
for Bush, but boy, we are sure suffering it's consecuences!

I won't comment on the things I've read about america cutting budget on
research to invest more heavily on its army, or that religion is
thightening its grip on politics, as are the corporations. I do not have
a complete picture of these news, as Internet is not very partial, and I
cannot say if these are very isolated cases (as, for example, a church
that celebrated the recent airplane accident on Madrid, because us
Spaniards support "fag politics") or a more extended and common
situation (as airport authority problems, that seems both locals and
foreigns suffer).

As for the right-wing resurgence in Europe, I have to admit that lately
we had our share of conservative leaders there. Some of them are
extremely scary, and I'm not thinking about Sarkozy but people like
Berlusconi or Putin, that behave more like criminals and less like
politicians. Media has mentioned a lot of reasons, but if I have to
judge for my experience in Spain, is just that the people that used to
vote for the center-left parties has becomed disilusioned and stopped
going to vote. Right wing prevalence in Spain has been always directly
related to low percentage of voters.

Finally a disclaimer: I don't "hate" U.S. I am scared to death by it.
I've met some exttremely great people from there (being the list a good
example), but I don't/can't possibly understand how they can live in
their country. And much less why they want their country to be the
example to be followed by the other countries.

My two cents. I won't add further, as I feel this thread is strongly
breaking the list ettiquette, no matter how polite we can try to put our
words.

Real Disclaimer: I have not official education in English. I have tried
to write as polite as possible, being a sensitive topic and all that.
Anything considered offensive may be considered an error of composition
and the offended party may try to pursue a free beer if any time we met.