Re: [NTLK] Can Sony's eBooks be read on a Newton device?

From: Woody Smith <woodysmith_at_comcast.net>
Date: Fri Apr 24 2009 - 14:38:53 EDT

Second try

The Newton can only display specific types of books.
Newton Books ( Digital Dan wrote an excellent how to for making these
books "Newton Books 101"
Paperback books created with Paperback Book maker
Proprietary readers such as "The Message"
And any text file that you import into NewtWorks.
I use NewtsCape to create Newton books on my Newt from text or html
documents.

I use a mac but also have a a PC due to employment requirements. I
have not been able to extract the text from a proprietary Sony book.
It is possible to use a text editor or MS Word to extract the text
from Newton books and some other formats.
My sister has the Sony and is very happy with it. She downloads books
from a variety of sources.
Our archives list some of these and here are a few

Online Book Catalog - Overview - Project Gutenberg <http://www.gutenberg.org/catalog/

manybooks.net - Free eBooks for your PDA, iPod, or eBook Reader <http://manybooks.net/

Index of /library <http://www.stillnewt.org/library/>
Index of /books
The Burgomeister's Books: Truly free ebook download library (#1) <http://www.truly-free.org/

Feedbooks: Food for the mind <http://www.feedbooks.com/>
Cory Doctorow’s craphound <http://craphound.com/>
Baen Free Library <http://www.baen.com/library/defaultTitles.htm>
Online Libraries - 25 Places to Read Free Books Online |
Educhoices.org <http://educhoices.org/articles/Online_Libraries_-_25_Places_to_Read_Free_Books_Online.html

sacred-texts <http://www.sacred-texts.com/bib/index.htm>

Hope these links work for you.

Woody