Re: [NTLK] pretec 32 meg card dies mysteriously--film at 11!

From: Lord Groundhog <LordGroundhog_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat Aug 15 2009 - 10:48:58 EDT

~~~ On 2009/08/15 06:55, James Wages at james@kiramek.com wrote ~~~

> I don't know why my card died. Doesn't make sense to me. But I suspect
> that I should never leave any PCMCIA card in the slots when I do a Newton
> reboot of any kind. Some may call me crazy, but I cannot help but think
> that the act of leaving my card inserted during the reboot is what killed it
> (as opposed to my card having died and then causing the lockup).
>
> So before you have to reboot your 2100's, eject those precious 32MB linear
> cards. They are hard to come by!

James,

I won't say "cause - effect" here, because I was under the impression that
one should never leave any kind of card in a Newt when doing a power-drain
reset or a "brain-wipe". For the less extreme resets, I've had the
impression it was OK to leave cards in, but I've taken them out anyway, and
would always do this unless I were told of some reason not to -- I'm a
"belt-and-braces" sort of guy, and I can't see the harm in removing them
each time, apart from losing about 10-15 seconds of my life.

For more info, see:
<http://www.pda-soft.de/faq/frames_newton-faq-nos.html#IIIB2>

Commiserations on the death of the card. I hope you didn't lose a load of
data when it happened.

Shalom.
Christian

łAny sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from a Newton.˛
            -- what Arthur C. Clarke meant

http://youtube.com/watch?v=1ZzpdPJ7Zr4
(With thanks to Chod Lang)
http://tinyurl.com/29y2dl