Re: [NTLK] Pen computing is dead... long live the iNewt

From: Ryan Vetter <physicalconstants_at_yahoo.ca>
Date: Sun Aug 16 2009 - 05:09:54 EDT

I guess in your own words Ron, welcome to the wonderful world of "Speech-to-Text". I have been using MacSpeech Dictate for some months now, and wrote about it on the list. It is impressive. Having Speech-to-Text for the iPhone will be great too... and on their tablet, if it ever comes.

I have been blown away by how good speech recognition is, although my use of it differs slightly from yours since I am not using it on an iPhone, and the software does all the work 'in house'.

You can reach over 160 wpm with MacSpeech Dictate, far greater than even the fastest typers. I demonstrated it at WWNC 2009 and everyone seemed impressed with its speed and accuracy. I have taken things a few steps further and have programmed in speech commands which initiate a series of actions. Much less typing and clicking, a lot more relaxing...

I hope the iPhone is able to handle something like this for text input in the near future.

Ryan