Re: [NTLK] Pen computing is dead... long live the iNewt

From: Dan <dan_at_dbdigitalweb.com>
Date: Sun Aug 16 2009 - 14:44:11 EDT

On 8/16/2009 5:09 AM, Ryan Vetter wrote:
> I guess in your own words Ron, welcome to the wonderful world of "Speech-to-Text". I have been using MacSpeech Dictate for some months now, and wrote about it on the list. It is impressive. Having Speech-to-Text for the iPhone will be great too... and on their tablet, if it ever comes.
>
> I have been blown away by how good speech recognition is, although my use of it differs slightly from yours since I am not using it on an iPhone, and the software does all the work 'in house'.
>
> You can reach over 160 wpm with MacSpeech Dictate, far greater than even the fastest typers. I demonstrated it at WWNC 2009 and everyone seemed impressed with its speed and accuracy. I have taken things a few steps further and have programmed in speech commands which initiate a series of actions. Much less typing and clicking, a lot more relaxing...
>
> I hope the iPhone is able to handle something like this for text input in the near future.

To each their own I guess. While speech-to-text would be handy at
times. I tend to organize my thoughts as I type. Especially large
documents. Most of the time I am all over the place on a project and
organizing it as I go. speech-to-text would likely make a big mess I
would have to figure out. Although I might give it a spin sometime just
for kicks.

For windows there is a speech-to-text system that has been around for a
long time called Dragon naturally speaking. I have never used it myself
but I do know of people that have and are impressed by it (at least the
later versions).

-Dan