[NTLK] eMate hinge repair question - how critical is the one that ISN'T near the display cable?

Eric Rucker bhtooefr at gmail.com
Sat Dec 12 22:23:00 EST 2009

On Sat, Dec 12, 2009 at 22:13, R A Parker <RAParker at newted.org> wrote:
> I would consider the necessity for the operation as pretty critical.
> As the instructions say, it is necessary to fix the springs, reshaped
> them and replace the lubrication on them. It is the old lubrication
> that has caused them to change shape and snap. If the other spring
> hasn't snapped, consider yourself pretty lucky. Nevertheless, you may
> still need to re-shape it if even a little bit. So, doing the full
> rebuild is probably a good idea. The dented washers ensure that, in
> the future, those springs will never pop again.

Well, if I put the washer in and lubricated the hinge on the left
(viewing from the bottom of the Newton, handle pointing away,) I think
it'd be safe on that side. The slipped leg on that side has only moved
1 mm or less.

I'll readily admit I'm being lazy, but if I only have to remove the
motherboard, that's much less work than the full teardown, especially
because I think I need to buy less tools (no, it's not the soldering
that worries me) to do the quick fix, and not worry about the hinge
that's actually popped free. My question is whether that one can
damage anything, as I don't see anything in its path.