[NTLK] Newton resetting itself (was: Re: 2010 patch)

Lord Groundhog LordGroundhog at gmail.com
Sat Dec 19 07:20:21 EST 2009

~~~ On 2009/12/19 00:34, Frank Gruendel at newtontalk at pda-soft.de wrote ~~~

> If a 2x00 tells you that the battery was dead, it is usually right. It might
> have been "dead" due to a contact problem. Check and clean the battery
> contacts, and check the + and - contacts in the Newton. The battery's +
> contact is the one next to the sticker, - is the round one. Especially the
> Newton's + contact bends towards the mainboard over time. This might cause
> what you are experiencing.
>
> Another reason might be a contact problem inside the battery pack.

Well, I've had to switch to using my 2 battery sleds for my 2 main Newtons.
My rechargeable packs all need to be re-celled, and I'm hoping Santa will
pay for the job to be done.  ;-)

After Woody said to check my contacts, I did but could see nothing.  But
when I put the current battery set into the other sled, that seems to have
alleviated most of the problem.  So now I have to figure out what's wrong
with the one sled.

BUT -- it seems there may also be something with the contacts in the Newton
itself.  There's certainly something wrong, because when I started up last
night after a few hours doing something else, the first thing I saw was a
little box asking if I really wanted to delete all data.  Of course I said
no.  And then the Newton did the whole reset thing as before.  I suppose it
could be that the one sled is more susceptible to a problem inside the Newt
than the other.

So thanks for this; I think I'm going to have to do a proper overhaul.

Shalom.
Christian

            -- what Arthur C. Clarke meant

http://youtube.com/watch?v=1ZzpdPJ7Zr4