[NTLK] Reputable Newton/parts dealer?

Matt Howe matthowe at comcast.net
Tue Dec 22 08:16:42 EST 2009

I have also purchased two newtons from them. And my son purchased one of
their Fujitsu tablets. In all cases things were as advertised or better. The
first Newton I purchased from them developed the jaggies after a year, no
fault of theirs. I called and explained that I had everything for a newton,
clips, covers etc. That all I needed and wanted was one with a great screen
and that I was even willing to swap cases with my bad one. They gave me a
very good deal on a unit with a flawless screen. The case had all of its
clips and the port cover. I had only to supply the screen cover from my bad
one to have a like new unit.

Matt (Ducky) Howe
Owner of a MP2000U and an Emate
SantaMatt at Gmail.com (Nokia N770)
matthowe at comcast.net (Desktop)
http://home.comcast.net/~mhowe41/
http://SantaMatt.blogspot.com

Joseph wrote:
<clip>
This is my own experience, and may not be typical, so caveat emptor:
I bought my MP 2000 from this seller (actually, the same listing -- it gets
relisted when it ends, as they seem to have a lot of them):

http://cgi.ebay.com/Apple-Newton-Messagepad-2000-MP2000-PDA_W0QQitemZ1704227
96862QQcategoryZ0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp4340.m506QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DNGRI%2
6its%3DI%26itu%3DUA%26otn%3D10%26ps%3D63#ht_1595wt_1161

In my experience, the condition of my unit was actually much better than
they told me it would be in the ad.  They say to expect slight scratches and
marks but mine looked as if it had been carried by a meticulous owner for a
few weeks and then put down.  I also bought a cable from them, and it didn't
appear to have been used at all.
I won't say that your mileage won't vary, but $35 seems fair for a good
condition unit.  Bear in mind that there is no battery or stylus included,
though.  I was lucky to have found a battery tray somewhere else for $5.
The guy didn't really know what he had, and neither did I at the time.  I
was thrilled when I saw how much they sometimes go for.
I recommend them for parts and such, but you may possibly find a better deal
on a complete unit somewhere else.  I definitely advise getting a battery
tray whatever you do.  Recelling an old battery pack may work just fine, but
the world will probably never run out of rechargeable AAs.  :)
eBay is great, just read the fine print several times.  Sometimes you will
end up with a bad item, but I never have yet.
<clip>