[NTLK] Thanks list!

Gene Beaird bgbeaird at sbcglobal.net
Sat Dec 26 16:46:57 EST 2009

I have been a long-time subscriber, and mostly lurker.  My wife and I
both used Newton 2100s, but mostly as legacy systems.  We have a lot
of addresses and data on them.  We still use mine to record data at
autocross events we participate in.  I have been trying to move to the
iPhone, but you can't see the screen in the sunlight, and the 'human
interface' is, to me, slow and clunky.  What I'd give for a 'real'
keyboard like we got with the Newtons via the serial interface
connector.

I was disturbed to discover, while reading the list, that there was a
2010 bug in the NewtonOS.  I was relieved to read about the available
patch, though I fretted about how I was going to get the systems
patched, having not done that in a long, long time.  I wish thank from
the bottom of my heart for the supporters of this community for
developing the patch.  It took a bit to get it installed, but I did
get both systems patched, thank you.  To patch them, I downloaded the
patch to my MacBook, then sftp to my Debian Linux server that has AFP
running.  With that, I was able to fire up my beigebox Macintosh G3,
mount the appletalk fileshare and pull the patch cluster over.  I then
had to pull out my NCU documentation to find out how to run it, since
it had been several years since we last did that.  I finally got a
viable connection and got both systems backed up.  After running
ResEdit to change the Type and Creator codes so the Mac would
recognize them as packages, I was able to install the patch and test
patch on our Newtons.  So we're good for a few more decades.  Thank
you all so very much!!

Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas