Re: [NTLK] NEEDED: cables

From: Dennis B. Swaney <romad_at_aol.com>
Date: Thu Feb 05 2009 - 11:28:00 EST

James Fraser wrote:
> Hello,
>
> --- On Thu, 2/5/09, Dennis B. Swaney <romad@aol.com> wrote:
>
>>> Reilly001os@aol.com wrote:
>
>>> I've never seen a pc use use a mini din for
>>> serial.
>
>> Then you've never seen a PC in the last 10 years. They
>> are usually called PS2 or miniDIN-6 cables. You can see a picture here:
>
>> http://www.vetra.com/Elimina2.htm
>
> You're confusing a PS/2 port with a serial port.
>
> Compare the device you linked to above with this one:
>
> http://www.mactech.com/articles/mactech/Vol.20/20.05/BasicStamp/Figure01.jpg
>
> The PS/2 device in your link has 6 pins; the port in the Keyspan serial adapter has 9. They're two different devices with two different purposes.

Which is WHY I SAID the PC cable had a different pin-out than the Mac
cable. Reilly said that he never saw a PC with a mini-DIN port/cable.
The "PS/2" ports ARE miniDIN ports. And they use a SERIAL data signal.

The PS/2 nomenclature is because they were first used on the IBM
Personal System 2 computer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PS/2_connector

BTW, the Mac cable is a mini-DIN 8 and my Keyspan USA-28X has 8 pins,
not 9 (unless you are counting the metal shield as the 9th pin?)