Re: [NTLK] 2010 time/date bug

From: Jon Glass <jonglass_at_usa.net>
Date: Sun Feb 15 2009 - 03:30:36 EST

On Sat, Feb 14, 2009 at 9:25 PM, Joel M. Sciamma
<joel@inventors-emporium.co.uk> wrote:
> Had the Newton OS continued to the present, the developers would have
> had to tackle the date rollover issue at some point. Given what we
> know about NOS, how would they have dealt with the problem?
> Put another way, what is the ideal solution?

If the NOS had "survived" to the present, it would have long ago had
to have gone through a complete rewrite. It was groaning with pain
with NOS 2.1 on the MP2K series. It just was never intended for what
it was being used for. It could never have survived to the present
without being completely rewritten from the ground up. I have
mentioned before, but I once read an interview with one of the major
Newton engineers, and he went to lengths describing the many problems
at the core of the NOS that would have needed major rewriting. In
other words, the NOS was a dead-end street for Apple, as it was not
intended for such things as huge data flows like the internet give,
among other things. IOW, the soup structure just can't handle things
like web caches, etc.

I just wish I could find that interview again. I've gotten one that
was similar, but it isn't the same one. The one I read was in some
magazine or web site, not a forum, like the one that I do have.

--
 -Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland