[NTLK] The cultural importance of Apple technologies, Newton being one

From: Frank Lowney <frank.lowney_at_gcsu.edu>
Date: Sun Feb 15 2009 - 18:44:41 EST

Perhaps a loftier appeal would be more effective and would attract
more support. After all, there are many more things in Apple's
dustbin that also deserve similar consideration. I'd send this appeal
to Tim Cook with a copy to Steve Jobs and other top Apple execs and
members of the Apple Board of Directors (http://www.apple.com/pr/bios/bod.html
), especially Al Gore. The right folks at the Library of Congress, too.
A great deal of our culture is now encapsulated in so many different
ways that the demise of operating systems, the obsolescence of
hardware and the abandonment of software threatens to deprive future
generations of knowing as much about us as we were privileged to know
about our forebears. We have locked up much of our culture and are
about to throw away the key. We have to stop and think and find a
better way.

There are many who will rally 'round this cause. Already, there is a
very serious effort underway to recover abandoned copyrights and
patents to the public domain. This is right up there with making Apple
greener (more ecologically responsible).

In addition to the Newton OS and apps, there is Hypercard and
AppleWorks.

The Library of Congress is already struggling to be able to preserve
and pass of our digital culture. It's no longer a simple matter of
climate-controlled storage.

Thus, I would recommend hooking-up with others who are working toward
these loftier goals.

Dr. Frank Lowney Georgia College & State University
     Senior Director for External Projects
        and Assistant to the Director, Digital Innovation Group @
Georgia College
     Web Enabled Resources,
     GCSU Library and Instructional Technology Center
     E-Mail: frank.lowney@gcsu.edu -- frank.lowney@me.com
     Professional Pages: http://www.faculty.de.gcsu.edu/~flowney
Voice: (478) 445-5260
NOTICE: Please be advised that I am hearing impaired and communicate
most effectively via e-mail. Follow-up summaries of telephone
conversations by e-mail are most appreciated.