Re: [NTLK] 2010 time/date bug

From: Joel M. Sciamma <joel_at_inventors-emporium.co.uk>
Date: Sun Feb 15 2009 - 18:19:32 EST

Jon,

> If the NOS had "survived" to the present, it would have long ago had
> to have gone through a complete rewrite.

Yes, I now remember that at the time of cancellation, a major
overhaul was planned and thanks for reminding me.

I was trying to get into the head of those who built the OS who, if
presented with this issue closer to the rollover than we were, might
come up with something interesting from their perspective. Still, it
looks like the architecture of the Newt is such a tangle, with so
many patches and buried code, that even having the NOS source might
not help.

Annoying though it would be in many ways, the essential function of
the Newton for me would be little affected by resetting to an earlier
date and it might be possible in future to resequence notes and other
objects so they at least followed each other in the correct order.
Anything better than this is a bonus.

I did use the Newt a lot for scheduling at one time but the Mac took
over that role a few years ago. As I hardly use a mobile, the Mac and
Newt combo seems to do everything I require and will probably
continue to do so after the rollover, or until Apple make a hand-held
that can be used as a proper data capture device.

Joel.