Re: [NTLK] Newton History

From: Larry Yaeger <lsynt2_at_beanblossom.in.us>
Date: Fri Feb 20 2009 - 22:47:25 EST

At 2:07 PM -0500 2/20/09, Morgan Aldridge wrote:
>On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 1:17 PM, Frank Lowney <frank.lowney@gcsu.edu> wrote:
> > I've been trying to track down/obtain one or both of the videos that
>> John Sculley commissioned to explain and illustrate his Knowledge
> > Navigator concept.
>
>A low quality version of one of the Knowledge Navigator videos has
>been on UNNA for years:
>
><http://www.unna.org/view.php?/movies/Apple/KnowledgeNavigator>
>
>Please let me know if you find a higher quality version anywhere.

I was at Apple at that time and only remember one Knowledge Navigator video, not two (though I'd be curious to hear about a second one). The version on Google linked from the digibarn page that was mentioned here is about as good a quality as I have seen. I have a comparable quality copy here, if that one proves difficult to download or you want it as a .mpg instead of a .flv file (if that's what Google's copy is--not sure):

http://beanblossom.in.us/video/knowledge_navigator_large.mpg

My upload bandwidth is pretty terrible, so please stick to Google's version unless you actually want to download this, and please don't pass on the URL to anyone else. Thanks.

- larryy

P.S. Alan Kay, Ann Marion, and the rest of Vivarium program did produce an interesting mockup of another interface involving the ecological simulation work that was being done for Vivarium. I wonder if that's what that person was referring to. It wasn't a Sculley project, but I imagine Sculley knew about it and showed it or had Alan show it to other muckey-mucks at some point. Dunno.