Re: [NTLK] Newton History

From: Ryan Vetter <physicalconstants_at_yahoo.ca>
Date: Sat Feb 21 2009 - 15:15:39 EST

Thanks for the reply. Searle's analogy I think is a good illustration of the difference between a computer and a human being in terms of understanding. I am not sure about it proving anything... but the issue is the fact that a human being is a highly organized clump of organic matter, and a computer is non-organic with a completely different structure and function. When emotion/feeling is taken out of the picture, along with a consciousness, semantics is compromised.

Computers are simply empty drones made up of bits of plastic, silicon and metals. Trying to get a structure such as this to emulate a human being is difficult because of this fact. I am sure there are some ways to go about it though, but I am not well versed in AI so I couldn't really say.

As you say, though, approaching it from an evolutionary perspective would seem to be a decent way to further AI, as it is modeled after the progression of human development.