Re: [NTLK] Any tips on using Mail V? This is my first email o

From: Matt Howe <matthowe_at_comcast.net>
Date: Mon Feb 23 2009 - 23:40:23 EST

Actually, SimpleMail was the original Email written by Simon Bell and it was
only pop3. Mail V was the next Email client Simon wrote and was originally
only good with imap. Later versions of Mail V added pop3 support. I used
SimpleMail for several years with my local free net using pop3 and smtp over
my wifi card. I only stopped using it when the free net was black listed for
trouble with spammers and at the same time I received a Nokia 770 as a gift.
So I switched from SimpleMail on my 2100 with the free net to my Nokia and a
Gmail account. For more information see:
http://homepage.mac.com/simonbell/simplemail/
and
http://homepage.mac.com/simonbell/mailv/index.html

I have heard that Mail V has a memory leak but I have no first hand
knowledge of that. I do know that at the time I started with SimpleMail that
Mail V was not supporting pop3 so after trying several other email programs
(Eudora etc.) I found SimpleMail, installed it and found it to be fantastic.
Thanks again Simon. I remember when Mail V came out with a pop3 version but
I was happy with SimpleMail and saw no reason to change. Seeing how Mail V
is also written by Simon Bell, I can't think of it being anything but
fantastic. I only bring up this point to keep the record straight.

Unfortunately when I stopped using my Newton for Email and browsing, I
removed most of those packages to free up memory. I only retained Newtscape
(another fine product) incase I need to download a package from my personal
web server or for book creation/reading. Otherwise I would send you the
settings I used with the free net. But I imagine that RAParker, using Yahoo
himself, can probably help you more than my memories. I just wanted everyone
to be straight on SimpleMail.

Matt (Ducky) Howe
Owner of a MP2000U and an Emate
SantaMatt@Gmail.com (Nokia N770)
matthowe@comcast.net (Desktop)
http://home.comcast.net/~mhowe41/

RAParker wrote:
<snip>
I'm very sure, if you want to access POP, you will need to be using Mail V.
Unload Simple Mail, completely. Work with Mail V, do not mix the
apps/extensions with different versions of Simple Mail & Mail V. I can't
imagine that this going to help and I'm guessing it will cause you problems.
Get rid of Simple Mail and install Mail V properly.
<snip>