Re: [NTLK] too Quiet on the List(Pippin)

From: Dennis B. Swaney <romad_at_aol.com>
Date: Sun Jan 11 2009 - 13:39:33 EST

Joseph Reilly wrote:
> Apple locking the iphone to AT&T is exactly why I have an iPod touch
> coming in
> the mail. I wouldn't mind contracting for an iphone as long as it's
> not AT&T, I had problems
> with them in the past and won't use they're service again. I used to
> carry a classic ipod so adjusting to the
> ipod touch won't be an issue especially if I can transfer some of my
> newton tasks to it, I love my newt but it is a brick
> and I'm not as attached to the HWR as some folks so I think I can
> work the ipod touch into an iNewt with the
> right software and setup.

I'm tired of hearing about how Apple supposedly made a mistake going
with AT&T.

1. Apple TRIED to make a deal with Verizon, but Verizon turned them down
FLAT! Cingular (now AT&T) jumped at the chance to make a deal with
Apple; they just demanded 5 year exclusivity.

2. AT&T uses GSM just as the rest of the world; you can't use a CDMA
Verizon phone outside of these United States (as my brother-in-law
learned the hard way)

3. The fastest way for Verizon to get GSM capability is to merge with
T-Mobile, then when the 5-year exclusive contract between Apple and AT&T
ends in 2012/2013, they'll be able to use iPhones.

4. I've had no problems with Cellular One/ATTWS/Cingular/AT&T be it on
the analog/TDMA/GSM networks.

--
Sincerely,
Dennis B. Swaney