Re: [NTLK] too Quiet on the List(Pippin)

From: Ken Whitcomb <ken_at_imageguild.com>
Date: Sun Jan 11 2009 - 22:28:30 EST

According to an article in Wired last year, the most significant
difference in bringing the iphone onto the network was that the
manufacturer's UI design (e.g. Visual Voicemail) required that the
carrier allow an outside party dictate some engineering specs. This
was a big change for any carrier. Not only was there the issue of will
the carrier be willing to give up that sort of control, but also the
question of could they rise to the challenge of integrating such a
drastically different product. My recollection from the article was
that Verizon didn't dismiss the opportunity out of hand, but had
worked for a period of some months before they walked away. I'll have
to dig that issue up to see if I'm correct. If that was the case, it
might have been the combination of loss of control, cost, and
engineering challenge that they didn't want to risk not delivering on.
That's just speculation on my part though.

ken