Re: [NTLK] How to Upgrade MP 2000 ROM on Einstein emulator

From: Frank Lowney <frank.lowney_at_gcsu.edu>
Date: Tue Jan 27 2009 - 17:58:54 EST

All,
Thanks for the corrections. I guess that no harm was done.

That's always good to know.

On Jan 27, 2009, at 4:23 PM, Frank Gruendel wrote:

> Just for the record...
>
>> I have the Einstein Newton Emulator up and running with my MP 2000
>> ROM. I believe that these were upgradable to the 2100 ROM
>
> This is wrong. The 2000 and 2100 had the same ROM boards. The only
> difference
> was the amount of RAM provided by two RAM chips.
>
>> I think that I have stumbled upon the answer:
>> http://www.unna.org/unna/apple/software/SystemPatches/english/2x00/
>
>> This is what I needed so used Einstein's "Install Package" function
>
>> and now I'm at 2.1.
>
> You were at 2.1 before if you used a 2000.
>
> Both the Newton 2000 and 2100 run Newton OS 2.1. What a system patch
> like yours does is _patch_ the 2.1 OS, but it will still be a 2.1 OS
> afterwards.
> All MP2x00 system patches out there can be used both for the 2000 and
> the 2100.
>
> You were probably misled by the fact that "2.1" looks more like "2100"
> than "2000".
>
> Regards
>
> Frank
>
> -- Newton software and hardware at http://www.pda-soft.de

Dr. Frank Lowney Georgia College & State University
     Senior Director for External Projects
        and Assistant to the Director, Digital Innovation Group @
Georgia College
     Web Enabled Resources,
     GCSU Library and Instructional Technology Center
     E-Mail: frank.lowney@gcsu.edu -- frank.lowney@me.com
     Professional Pages: http://www.faculty.de.gcsu.edu/~flowney
Voice: (478) 445-5260
NOTICE: Please be advised that I am hearing impaired and communicate
most effectively via e-mail. Follow-up summaries of telephone
conversations by e-mail are most appreciated.