Re: [NTLK] Typical Newton Third Party Apps

From: Tony Kan <tonykan_at_xtra.co.nz>
Date: Sat Jan 31 2009 - 00:54:13 EST

Hi Frank

Yes, a lot of apps are on UNNA but some of the most popular are still "offered"
commercially. However there are also a number of commercial apps are or have
become abandonware as their vendors neglect their websites or stop responding to
queries from interested customers (see my recent posting re SBM utilities).

MoreInfo from Silverware was a PIM that received a lot of accolades but I don't
know how popular it was because of its price. Nonetheless this is still held
out as a commercial product.

Catamount (www.catamount.com) and Standalone (www.standalone.com) were both
prolific software producers and they continue to sell their wares.

The spreadsheet program Quickfigure Pro and Works (Word Processor intended to be
used with a keyboard) AFAIK was bundled with the Newton.

I'm sure others will chime in.

These days the most popular software probably involve Bluetooth (www.40hz.org)
and Wifi (http://www.ff.iij4u.or.jp/~ngc/eng/newtwave.htm).

I only started using the Newton in 2001 so I'm sure there are other veterans out
there with more years under their belts who can chime in.

It'd be nice if you could post your video for all to see when its finished.
Sorry can't help with the high res images but Adam Tow of www.tow.com was a
legendary software developer for the Newton and is also a dab hand with a
camera. Perhaps he can help with your project.

Cheers

Tony