Re: [NTLK] Office Politics

From: Lord Groundhog <LordGroundhog_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu Jul 09 2009 - 18:55:05 EDT

~~~ On 2009/07/09 22:28, Andy Hill at adhill@fastmail.co.uk wrote ~~~

> Ok it wont get me a promotion but at least it didn't let the side down!!
> And I appreciate this isn't a thrilling story like previous threads
> about Newtons being taken up Mount Everest, or Newton's on special
> military missions but hey - little victories are still victories.

For every "thrilling story" about an amazing victory, there are a few dozen
more stories of ordinary, "bread-and-butter" triumphs. And I'd argue that
these are the ones that reach the most ordinary people the longest. After
all, how many of us need to climb Everest or carry out military ops? But
when I'm in a shop or a library or wherever, or I'm sitting with clients,
and I pull out my 2100 and write out notes or draw a diagramme or any other
of the cool things Newton does, the wide-eyed people watching are seeing me
do something they relate to and maybe wish they could do themselves. And
when I do a little demonstration like the one you describe, the next thing I
hear is usually something like "where do you get one?" or "why aren't these
in the shops?"

Good one. ;-)

Shalom.
Christian

łAny sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from a Newton.˛
            -- what Arthur C. Clarke meant

http://youtube.com/watch?v=1ZzpdPJ7Zr4
(With thanks to Chod Lang)
http://tinyurl.com/29y2dl