Re: [NTLK] Spam?

From: Dan <dan_at_dbdigitalweb.com>
Date: Fri Jul 17 2009 - 11:38:36 EDT

On 7/17/2009 1:42 AM, Jon Glass wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 17, 2009 at 7:22 AM, Dan wrote:
>> Yes one of my ISP's started labeling spam this way. Unfortunately (at
>> least in my case) they are usually wrong
>
> I have to speak up about my email provider. Years ago, my AOL email
> got massively hit with spam (I called one of the spammer's 800
> numbers, and complained. After that, I got hit super-big-time--learned
*snip*

> So, in the end, my spam problems are very minor, despite getting
> hundreds and hundreds every week.

Yes never respond to a spam in any way shape or form it only gets worse
afterwards lol. I am glad that the your ISP's system works so well.
Mine is lacking. While it does flag a majority of it correctly, there
are several that would go to a junk folder if I didn't filter it myself.
 And I am stuck with [spam] in the header. At the very least when I
have the spam filter off on their end they should not flag it in my
subject line. Personally I think the flags in the header are enough
considering you can set filters in your client to search for them and
filter (or just show them in a list or different folder if you want)
rather than putting [spam] in the subject. :/ But that is just my
preference.

Also something we have not discussed before......change your response
system (client, webmail, whatever you use to read and send mail) to not
include the original email addresses, just the name. Since this list is
publicly archived and the only the sender in the header is hidden, any
email addresses in the body are out there for any spammer to see and
grab easily. For example my email address was listed at the top of this
email ( On Fri, Jul 17, 2009 at 7:22 AM, Dan<instertaddresshere> wrote).
 I edited it out, but this happens a lot. And of course the previous
email to this one is in the archives with my address.

It is not really any different than posting someones email in the body
of the email "hey email me at .....". And since some people go though
the trouble of writing it like "joe at somewhere.com" then the next
person responds with "sure no problem I will contact you offlist" and at
the top of the email is their address for every spambot to find when
they tried to hide it in the first place.

Not to single anyone out, in fact I use to do this long ago as most
email clients put the full address by default at the top when you
respond to a email. Which is fine for personal messages but not for
email lists. In short check your settings or do a little editing as in
general no one wants their address to be harvested by a spammer.

-DB