Re: [NTLK] Cellular modem and phone-to-modem questions

From: Scott Hoffman <hoffo_at_mac.com>
Date: Tue Jun 02 2009 - 01:23:54 EDT

> What are you thinking of doing??

Hi,
      In short, I'm just a tinkerer. My ultimate goal is to be able
to do everything with my Newton that is possible to do, both with
new technology and with old, if possible.

      More and more I'm thinking the Option Globetrotter is a more
sensible solution - especially since it's at least tri-band.
      Since I also have a WallStreet II I think it'd be cool to be
able to also use it in that and use both PC card slots.
      My question about the Globetrotter is - which ones are
compatible? I haven't found any on eBay, not in the USA, Canada,
or Germany. I see that they are available new but don't know their
specs.

      I have an even more pedestrian question about these wireless
setups - how exactly do they work? Do they rely on dialing an ISP
or do they pull data directly? (e.g. Would I access T-Mobile's
mobile internet or use the airtime to dial a local dialup ISP?)

      Thank you all for your time and consideration,
      Scott