Re: [NTLK] [OT] New iPhones/iPhone OS 3.0

From: Morgan Aldridge <morgant_at_makkintosshu.com>
Date: Tue Jun 09 2009 - 07:04:55 EDT

On Tue, Jun 9, 2009 at 4:26 AM, James
Fraser<wheresthatistanbul-newtontalk@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Just for laughs: have there been any indications that Apple might be inclined to include a user-replaceable (although I suppose "swappable" is the word I really want) battery in future iterations of the iPhone?

Judging from the fact that they've just made it so every model of the
MacBook Pro now has a non-user-replaceable battery, I'd assume not. As
with the MacBook Pros, each iteration optimizes and improves battery
life (although they inflate the numbers), so I believe their goal is
to continue in that direction until we don't have to worry about it
anymore (of course, we'll still complain that we have to charge our
MacBook Pros every week).

Unfortunately, Apple is correct that making a user-replaceable battery
would make the iPhone bulkier and would actually significantly reduce
battery life because of the extra hardware and casing needed to do so.
It's definitely a trade off, but it it's also hard *not* to find a
powered USB port these days unless you're out in the wilderness and
even then there are still options.

Morgan Aldridge

---
morgant@makkintosshu.com